Monday, March 06, 2006

What NOT To Do!

I promise I am NOT a bad parent!!!! But I am still human and just barely imperfect :) I have read many good books on parenting and I know the do's and don'ts of parenting. Friday night Jeremy & I went to see a play that some of our college students were in. It was a REALLY late night (at least late for us!). Chloe stayed home with a sitter so she went to bed at a normal hour. I really had hoped to sleep in Saturday morning until at least 8am! But Chloe was up way too early! She came in at 6:00, "Mommy, is it time to be awake?" "No, Chloe. It is still night time. Go back to your bedroom." Then at 7:20, "Mommy, it's not dark anymore. Can I be awake?" "Yes, but you have to play in your room." "I don't want to be in my room. I want to watch TV in your bed." "No, go to your room and play. Or go out in the living room with Dawny." I tried to go back to sleep and get those last few minutes. Then at 7:40 she opened our door again. "Mommy, are you still sleeping?" "Yes, Chloe." I had been on the verge of falling asleep and was getting REALLY cranky! Chloe wouldn't close the door. She just stood there. "Chloe, close my door and go play. I'll be up in a little bit." But she wouldn't close the door! After telling her about 10 times to close the door and her not listening, I broke all good-parenting rules and yelled at her, "CHLOE, CLOSE MY DOOR - RIGHT NOW! IF YOU DON'T CLOSE MY DOOR, I AM GOING TO GET UP AND SPANK YOU. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TO BED AND STAY THERE FOREVER!!!" This did the trick! She closed the door and went back to her room. I heard a few whimpers and I did feel bad, but I was too tired to care at that moment. Then I heard her singing. Chloe loves to sing and she does ALL the time. But Saturday morning she wrote a heart-felt story song. As I'm slowly waking up and listening to her, I hear her song about the "mean Mommy" and all the mean things that Mean Mommy said. Talk about an eye opener! By that time, I was fully awake. So I went to her room and told her how sorry I was for being cranky and that I did not act very nice. I apologized for getting angry with her and for not being a good example. Then we talked, hugged, played. After things were mended, I asked her to write a song about a nice Mommy. It started out about Mommy with a happy face, an angry happy face, a mean happy face but it ended really sweet- about a Mommy that loves her, a Mommy that wasn't angry and a Mommy that likes to play with her. It can be challenging to your pride to own up to your mistakes, especially when you have to apologize to your 3 year old! It was a great lesson- for me and Chloe! I know I will make mistakes as a parent, but I am quick to repent! And my darling Chloe is quick to forgive! Sometimes I am such a perfectionist and have a hard time allowing for mistakes. But I have changed so much and want to teach Chloe that it is OK to make mistakes. From those mistakes, you learn and move on, and try to make better choices in the future! Even writing this was hard- I hate showing vulnerability or that I am not perfect. But while it is amusing, it is something that I think everyone deals with- living by what is right, not according to how you feel at that moment. Too many people are ruled by their emotions and never live a fulfilled life. But I choose to be in charge of my emotions and live my life with God's fullness and God's best!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing my wonderful daughter-luv!

Austin & Lindsay said...

I can relate! Sometimes as moms we don't know how our words will have an impact on our little ones. The other day Reagan had in her hands on one of our wooden (spanking) spoons and looked and me and said in a stern voice, "You Quit Whinning!" And I thought- Do I really sound that mean? I've have learned to start watching my tone with her. I loved what you said about not us being ruled by our emotions- that's a good word girl! Thanks for the encouragement!

Shannon said...

This won't be the last time for this kind of thing, you are doing an awesome job with that little one! Thank God for His grace and mercy (a term we use alot in the Cassaday household, among other scriptures!) No one said this parenting thing would be easy, but it sure is rewarding! Congrats to Jeremy again for Weds night! Great job, Pastor!!!!! and Thanks for the reminder to me to also watch my words! Hugs!