Sunday, August 17, 2008

Week 2

Ok, so this week I made a mistake. We ended up spending $101.73. We would have been under budget again, but Jeremy forgot to tell me that he made an extra lunch run this week. His $5 meal put us over.

But, I do have to say that for a busy summer month, we have done really well with this challenge. Monday night I had a bunch of girls over for dinner and a swim. Then on Thursday, Sammi and I flew to Spokane for a few days. We went to Silverwood and I spent $35 on food and coffee. I guess while random trips to the grocery store can up your food bill, so can random trips!

So far, my opinion of this challenge is that the writer was being ridiculous with her grocery bill! I can understand how you would spend +$200 in a week on food, but that would mean having a dinner party or doing something out of the ordinary. The writer that took the challenge spent $200-$250 EVERY week for groceries. I know families that spend a lot less than $100 a week to feed a family of 4. I guess it just depends on the things you "have" to have. I love manchego mashed potatoes, but at $11 a wedge manchego cheese is not a "necessity" in our house.

I was thinking about what foods I splurge on. In the summer months it is definately fruits! Strawberries, blueberries and cherries are favorites in our household. I also love salmon. I don't buy it all the time, but I do like to have it at least once every week or two. Pine nuts. I really enjoy pine nuts on my salads instead of croutons. And coffee. Jeremy and I love to sit and have coffee together in the mornings. But because we really like coffee, we are willing to spend more and skip the Folgers.

Week 3 will be a breeze, we really don't have anything going on. But next week, Week 4, we are on vacation the whole week. That should be interesting!

No comments: