Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Challenge

Recently I read an article online about a challenge the writer took to lower grocery bills. The basic idea was that she went for 4 weeks feeding a family of 4 (a 4-year old and a toddler) on a budget of $100 per week. At the end of her challenge, she had gone over budget every week, even if only by $5-$10. She also determined that while possible short-term, this was not realistic for most people.

So, I have decided to test this myself and come to my own conclusions of possibility. Three meals a day for 4 people. This is to include any eating out, lattes, etc. Also, I will be making real meals, we will not be eating mac 'n' cheese or ramen everyday. I must say, however, that I might have some advantage over the writer. I do not work outside of my home so I am able to plan and prepare meals every day. I think in a household where both parents work full time outside the home this would be extremely difficult to follow.

The first step has been preparation. I have a meal menu for the entire week, including times we are away from home, summer treats (aka- popcicles!), visitors. This is something I normally do anyway, so not much change there. Saturdays are my designated shopping days. I began this on Sunday, and so far I have spent $40.55. I have bought some family favorites and still seem to be on track. We are still eating a variety of healthy and fresh foods, including salmon, enchiladas, strawberries, cherries, and my favorite avocado and chickpea salad!

I will be posting more thoughts about this challenge over the next 4 weeks. Stay tuned....

1 comment:

The Gladney Family said...

You know what I discovered, safeway.com. I find I don't have time to go to the grocery store so at my lunch break I'll order groceries and they will be delivered to my house later that evening. I also make a menu but mine is for two weeks. I usually spend $150 at Safeway and about $200 at Costco and that will last about 3 weeks and we'll only go out to eat once in that time. Planning ahead is the key to spending less and eating healthy. That was a long comment, maybe I should have emailed you. :)